Sunday, October 10, 2010

Local Matters


October 2-8, 2010 was the Eat Local Challenge for Central Ohio.   There was a list of things that you were supposed to pick 3 things from and try out in the week.   I decided to 1) Go to a local farmer's market and purchase locally grown food.  2) Prepare and share a recipe using local ingredients. 3) Eat out at a restraunt that uses local ingredients.    I am happy to share that I was able to accomplish all 3 of these things and am trying to continue on with these things this week as well!

Last weekend I shopped at the North Market and found some locally grown apples (that looked awesome), onions and greens (spinach and arugula).   That evening I already had dinner plans at Due Amici with friends.   I was pleased to find out that they do use locally produced food and I had a wonderful meal of Pork with Sweet Potatoe Risotto and Asparagus, which was on special for the night!     Sweet - 2 of my 3 goals had been met in one day!  

The next day, I was to have supper with my family.   I have an aunt and uncle (Jim and Elaine) who were in from out of town visiting for a long weekend.   Elaine has some food sensitivities and has to eat a fairly restricted diet that includes no wheat based products and dairy, to name a few.   I figured that this would be the perfect time to try a new recipe with some of the local ingredients I had purchased the day before.  



Using the apples and onion I had found worked perfectly in this Apple and Parsnip Soup.  What was even better was that my aunt enjoyed the soup enough that she copied the recipe for herself!    Yay!  Goal #3 met. 

I had also found another recipe which was really good and could be used as an appetizer or maindish.   I used it as a maindish and served a salad on the side later in the week for one my own meals.    The Brie, Apple, and Arugula Quesadillas were really good and easy to make! 


So, I enjoyed this fun little challange and would suggest that anyone try it around there town.   It is nice to support the local farmers and I think it is a great way to try new things and recipes if you like to cook or eat out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment