Saturday, May 28, 2011

First Run back with MIT


Today was my first day back with MIT since I have started HR based training.   It was a humbling experience.   I started with the 11:30's thinking that it should be a slow enough pace for me to maintain my zone 2 (121-135) HR.   Not so, after the first 5 minutes my HR was already in the 150's and that was even after a downhill start.   After about 10 minutes I gave up and slowed down.   Got dropped by the group pretty quickly.   Eventually the 12:30s flew by me.   Then a speed walker.   So, I took a deep breath and kept going.   I had to walk 4 times in the first 30 minutes to make sure I was staying in zone 2.   After a quick stop to refuel at Hills Market and then a potty stop at Wilson Bridge Rd., I turned around and headed back.   The second part of the run felt better, I actually felt like I was able to pick up the pace alittle, although I really don't know since I don't wear a garmin.   Only had to walk 2 times to get HR to stay in zone 2.   Saw a deer, saw lots of my MIT friends, and kept going.   90 minutes later and I hardly felt like I had run.   If my shirt wasn't drenched I probably would have questioned it.   So, I guess next MIT run I will probably start with the 12:30 or 13:00 pace and see what happens.   At this point I am frustrated but I am going to try and believe and  have confidence that in the long term this will be a good thing.   If nothing else I will be able to slow down and enjoy the view!

No comments:

Post a Comment