Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Taper Time!!


The taper time prior to a big race always brings mixed feelings to me.   I LOVE the taper because it means all the hard work that I have put in is over and the race is getting closer.   I HATE the taper because of all the phantom pain that I seem to get.   Without fail something starts to hurt during the taper phase, or at least it seems more noticeable.   In past years everything from my achilles tendon, a hamstring, a hip, and my feet have bothered me during the taper.    This year it is my IT band(s), yep, both of them.    My ankle sprain of a month ago is a thing of the past.   It seems to have healed up fine and is no longer bothering me.   But, since my 22 miler a few weeks ago, my IT bands have taken turns bothering me.   Started with the right just feeling tight with a run.   Next day I could barely move my left knee while trying to walk.   If I rest a few days, they both feel better.   Yesterday although my run was "easy" it felt like everything hurt, both feet, my left knee, my right IT band, and I couldn't wait to be done.    I should be thankful that I can even get out there and run, but all I can think about at this point is every little thing that feels "off."   Par for course I guess, hopefully that will translate into a great racing experience like past years as well!   

Also in true taper fashion, I have signed up for and generated my racing schedule for the next few months.   Need to stay motivated after the Big Sur Marathon, otherwise I might get lazy and not do anything! 

Here is what my race calander looks like thus far:
1) Olentangy Duathlon May 2, 2010
2) TOSRV May 8, 2010
3) Wendy's Triathlon (Sprint Distance) June 13, 2010
4) Alum Creek Triathlon (Olympic Distance) June 27, 2010

My motivation right now, The Big Sur Highway!! 

Stats for the Week
Monday: 30 minute walk
Tuesday: 2200 swim
Wed: 80 minute run
Thursday: 2400 swim, 40 minute run
Friday: rest
Saturday: 12.5 mile run
Sunday: 40 mile bike
Monday: 6.4 mile run (63:30 minutes)
Tuesday: 2300 swim, 30 minute core workout

1 comment: