Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Recovery


It has been a little over 2 weeks since I finished IMAZ and I am still basking in the fact that I am an Ironman.   I still get giddy everytime I think about it and wear my "Ironman Finisher" gear any chance I get.  

So how am I doing so far?   Actually much better than I thought.   The first few days I was sore, but it felt similar to that feeling after you have done a marathon.


 By the Wed after the race I no longer hurt just walking around and by that Saturday I was able to do a little light jogging.  Last week I tried to slowly get back into some cross training by doing some swimming and light strength training mixed in with some shorter/easy runs.   Being the good athelete and PT that I am, I decided to finally look at Dr. Devor's Post-Race Recovery Program today.   Hmm, perhaps I should have looked at this a little sooner?   Per his guidlines, and the length of the race (14 hours)  I should have a recovery period of at least 56 days!  

This is a sample of the first week, let's see how I did:
Post Race Recovery and Training Again:
  • Post Race Training Plan: Week 1
    • Recover as quickly as possible - don't we all try to do this?  
      • Keys to achieve goal
        • Minimal easy running - done, I did a walk/run one day and a light run of 30 minutes the Saturday after the race.
        • Cross training (e.g., ride, swim, elliptical) - hmm, does walking around ASU's campus for a few hours and baking for a few hours count?
        • Massage and extra sleep - done, I had my post-race massage and pedicure the Tuesday following and I didn't wake up to an alarm for the entire week following!
        • Frequent high carbohydrate meals - done, this wasn't hard to do the week of Thanksgiving.   I also stayed with one of my favorite foodies Liz Brinkman,and we managed to hit the town for Sushi, Wine, and gourmet pizza!   I also convinced her to help me make Carmel Rolls from my grandmother's recipe.   I am pretty sure these fall under the catagory of "high carbohydrate" and I know I ate them with several meals!  
        • Mileage goal for week
          • No more than 25% of average pre-marathon week - pretty sure I accomplished this, I didn't run more than 4 miles the week following the IM! 

Grandma Kurtenbach's Cinnamon Carmel Rolls:
Rolls:
Dissolve 2 pkgs. yeast, 1 level tsp. sugar in a bowl with 1/2 cup lukewarm water.
Add 1/2 cup shortening and 2 cups (scalded milk)
Add 1/2 cup sugar, 2 beaten eggs, and 2 level teaspoons salt. 
Slowly add "about 7 cups" of flour until dough reaches desired consistency.



Knead the bread dough into a ball.  




Cover the bowl, set aside in a warm, dry place and let rise until the dough doubles in size.  Mix down and let rise again.   Shape into rolls:  Roll dough out on floured surface until about 1/2 inch thick.   Spread with 1/2 cup melted butter or maragarine.   Mix 3/4 cup sugar with 2 teaspons cinnamon and sprinkle over the dough/butter.   Roll up and slice.   Put into 9 x 13 pans (on top of carmel sauce) and let rise again until doubled in size.  

Carmel Sauce: (for one 9 x 13 pan):
Over med-low heat on stove, mix together, stirring the whole time, and heat until just combined:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 Tablespoons karo corn syrup. 



Once carmel sauce is done, pour into pans and top with rolls.   Once rolls have risen to double size, bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until rolls start to turn golden.   Remove from oven, turn over onto a cookie sheet and let cool before eating! 




Stats for Thanksgiving week:
Monday:  Rest, managed to walk a few miles, slowly, to go to the free breakfast buffet and then later in the day toured ASU's campus with my cousin.
Tuesday:  30 minute walk around the neighborhood, 90 minute massage, 30 minute pedicure
Wed:  30 minute walk around neighborhood, 3+ hours baking
Thursday:  40 minute walk/run around the neighborhood, 20 minutes floating on a noodle in my aunt/uncles pool.
Friday:  Rest, most of the day spent traveling back to Ohio
Saturday:  easy 30 minute run
Sunday:  Rest

No comments:

Post a Comment