Monday, November 30, 2009

Athletes that Inspire

I am an Ironman.   I don't ever think I will get tired of saying this.   It is a great feeling of accomplishment and it has been years in the making!   I also realized a told my mom a fib.   After watching CT participate in an Ironman for the first time, she asked if I would ever want to do one.   I distinctly remember saying "no way, that is crazy!"   Sorry Mom, I guess I am eating those words now.  

I have always liked to watch the Ironman Events.  CT has just completed his 4th IM this year and I have watched, spectated for 3 of them.   Our friend Julie did her first last year, and we went and watched her.   We also record all of the Ironman Specials on TV and I have watched IronmanLive so many times I can't even count anymore.   I guess something kind of funny happened along the way and the more I watched these events, the more I came to believe that I could do one too.   Yes, I am still in awe that I was able to complete this fantastic event, but I wouldn't have even tried it if it hadn't have been for some of these inspiring people:   


Jon "Blazeman" Blais:  Finisher of Ironman Hawaii 2006 after being diagnosed with ALS. 



Sarah Reinertsen:  The first female below the knee amputee to finish an Ironman (IM Hawaii Finisher 2005) featured in ESPN Magazines "The Body"  Issue in Oct. 2009



Team Hoyt:  Together (with Dick pushing/pulling his son Rick) these two have completed 1009 races as of Sept. 2009, including, 6 IM's, and 27 Boston Marathons.



Rudy Garcia-Tolson:  First bilateral above the knee amputee to finish an Ironman (IMAZ 2009)  Winner of multiple gold medals in the Paraolympics in swimming. 


So, the next time you are feeling completely unmotivated and don't have the confidence to think you can do something, read one of these stories, which are sure to inspire.  

1 comment:

  1. I've watched the videos about Rick & Dick Hoyt several times. Brings me to tears everytime.

    ReplyDelete