Thursday, November 5, 2009

If It's Not Spit It's Snot



As the weather changes and grows colder there are many things that make it difficult and/or annoying to train.  Of course cooler weather means more layers, less day light, many technical things that can make planning a run or ride difficult.  Another thing it brings about is more mucous.   And it seems to come from everywhere.  This is especially evident on the bike and on the run.  Half the time you are battling snot dripping from your nose and the other half of the time it is deep in your throat and the longer it sits the more thick it becomes.   And so, at one point or another you have to decide, do I just keep sniffing, wiping, and coughing and hope it goes away?  Or do I figure out how to hock a loogie and/or blow a snot rocket?

I, being a very refined lady that I am, have tried best just to sniff it out.  Of course, this means clearing your throat and or sniffing/wiping the face about every 30 seconds.   By the 3rd or 4th time you have done this, especially if you are using gloves, you realize that all you are really doing is re-wiping the snot back onto your face because your gloves are already saturated.  Plus, it doesn't really get rid of everything and 30 seconds later you are sniffing again.  Therefore, on some of my lone runs and rides I have tried to figure out how to projectile both a loogie and snot.   The first few tries I succeeded in getting spit/snot on my face, chin, and/or arm.  Thus, defeating the purpose of trying to form a projectile.  I obviously did not know how to do this correctly.  At this point I decided to ask some questions of my friends and obseve some experts in this practice.  I am happy to say that Matt and CT, without realizing it, have helped me to be able to successfully hock a loogie and blow a snot rocket!  I fully realize that I still need practice and will likely continue my sniffing and wiping technique when I am in the company of my firends.   I am afraid my aim is not the best yet, and I would hate for a misguided projectile land on one of my friends, but I think with practice I will be able to master this technique!

No comments:

Post a Comment