Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Changing It Up








So I have been mixing things up a bit.   Since the Big Sur Marathon my knee has still been bothering me.   After discussing it with my physician it was decided that I probably have a combination of IT band syndrome and patellar tendinitis in my left knee.    In the past month, I have also been diagnosed with osteopenia, which is the precursor for osteoporosis.    Needless to say, I have had to really take a step back and re-assess my goals for the rest of the year.       

I have decided, after talking it over with my physician and meeting with a dietician, to address the osteopenia more naturally.   They both think that by increasing some things in my diet (calcium, vitamin D, magnesium, and protien) and increasing strength training, that I can improve the bone density without taking medicine.    The strength training should also help with my knee problems.   

So, what does that mean for the rest of this year?   Well in order to make time for the strengthening, I will have to decrease some of my endurance training.   So, that means no long distances for me this year.   I will try a few short course tri's this summer and am going to shoot for a couple of 1/2 marathon distances later this summer/fall.

So, for the past few weeks I have been trying to add more strengtheing into my routine and I am trying to do a bit more yoga to help with my balance and flexibility.   Nothing crazy, but my goal is to do a combo of the two for 30-40 minutes 3-4 times a week.  





The other thing I have been up to this past month was a little fun in Vegas.   Part of Team FIT decided to finally go and celebrate our IM accomplishments from last year by taking a trip to Las Vegas.   We wanted to  take a trip that wasn't race/training oriented and enjoy ourselves.   We also wanted to get our IM Tattoos that we had talked so much about!!




We had a wonderful time and are looking forward to doing it again sometime.    Maybe next year???



No comments:

Post a Comment