Saturday, June 26, 2010

Mohican 100








Last weekend I had the opportunity to go up and help volunteer at an aide station that was organized by an MIT friend, Julie Bowen-Miller.



The Mohican Trail 100  is an ultrarunning trail run and participants can choose to either run 50 or 100 miles.   In the words of my good friend Jeanne, "I have finally found an endurance event that I have no interest in trying."    These runners are all bad asses in my book.   Especially for this run.   It is mostly hills and on this day the temps were in the high 80's/low 90's and it was humid.    The elusive Micah True  aka "Caballo Blanco" of  Born to Run even made an appearance for this race and was a guest speaker at the pre-race ceremonies.   My friend Mikaila and her boyfriend, Kyle, got to meet him and are now FB friends!


Kyle was able to snap a picture of him, but he was gone by the time we got there. . .



So, I have the utmost respect for all of the runners that finished this event.   I am proud to say that my MIT friends,  Mikalia and Mike both finished and I was honored to be there to help cheer them on and to volunteer for a few hours.



Jeanne, Jen, Pat, Rohit, and I headed up to Mohican after our MIT run in the morning and lunch.   It took us about an hour or so to get there.   Once there, we set out to help Julie with all of the runners as they came through.   We grabbed bags for them, refilled water, help bandage up feet, gave massages, basically just tried to help the runners anyway we could. 






As much as I like to participate in races, I think it also good to volunteer.   I am so appreciative of everything the volunteers that have done for me in past years, it is nice to finally return the favor in some way.    This is an event I hope to help out again at next year, although I would like to help a little longer if Julie will have me!

Congrats again to both Mike and Mikaila for finishing this awesome race!   Job well done in my book!






2 comments:

  1. Though you'll never see me do an ultramarathon, I'm still fascinated by the logistics of doing one. So I offered to pace Mikaila (aka MO-50) in the third/final 17m lap of her ultra at Caesar Creek in a couple of weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This trip was inspirational, and like you said, truly the respect for these runners I have is equally enormous.

    Maybe one day I'll do a 50K , not sure on 50miles though.

    Thanks for the blog, I like all your blogs.

    Rohit

    ReplyDelete