Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Family Fun

My mother (Jean), my sister (Lora), my Aunt Deb, Aunt Pat, and I all went down to Hocking Hills this past weekend for some female bonding.  We went down to Canopy Tours in the Rockbridge area to do a zipline/suspension bridge course.  Click  here for more details about the actual course.
We started first, by getting fit with the appropriate gear which was necessary for safety, but not at all flattering to the female body! 
After we all had they appropriate gear, they took us to a pratice area where we learned:  how to stand up on a platform, get hooked up to the line, how to let go, how to stop, and how to pull ourselves on the line if necessary.  Once each of us was deemed competent in this we were allowed to start the tour! 

The tour actually consisted of 10 different zip lines of various heights, lengths, and speeds, with several suspension bridges and a little bit of hiking between the zip lines.  From start to finish the whole thing took about 3 hours.  Overall we all did very well, my mom had a little trouble stopping a few times and almost took out our guide, Troy, more than once.  My sister was very good at landing on the platform and "skiing" on it several feet before it stopped.  I got to be quite good at skipping up the suspension bridges, causing them to shake and bounce, much to Deb's dismay! 
A few examples of some of the suspension bridges along the course, in the background there is a cave, apparently it is very similar to Old Man's Cave but not quite as large.  This one in only about 12 feet high on the inside!
The following 2 pictures were on my favorite zipline, which went alongside the Hocking River.
Deb
Lora

Overall the trip was alot of fun and I had a great time bonding with some of the female members of my family.  I would definately do this type of trip again and would suggest it to anyone, as long as heights don't bother you! 
We all made it to the end in one piece!  Our tour guides Mark (far left) and Troy (right side) were very fun and also very amused by all the ladies in this group, I think!  We made them blush more than once!  LOL!

My stats for last week:
Monday: rest day - got a 90 minute massage
Tuesday: 2800 swim, hour run
Wed:  30 mile bike, 15 minute transtion run
Thursday: hour run, core strength
Friday: rest
Saturday: 13 mile run, 50 minutes on the trainer for a bike fitting
Sunday: 65 mile bike, 30 minute transition run

No comments:

Post a Comment