Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Recipe for a Perfect Ice Bath

One practice that is often utilized by endurance athletes is the ice bath.   There are lots of different theories out there on the best way to do one, in fact this article talks about many of them.  Regardless, those that practice them after a long run, long ride, or just a really hard workout, swear by them.   I am in agreement and used them quite a bit when training for my first marathon and having been using them even more as I train for the Ironman distance! 

My Recipe for the Perfect Ice Bath:
1 fully functioning bathtub
2 tired legs
1 large bowl of ice*
1 magazine or book
1 timer
2 small towels
1 large towel
1 bathrobe
1 large mocha

I like to start by filling the bathtub with the water at the coldest setting.  While the tub is filling I will gather the following: ice, magazine, towels, and timer, so that all are within reach of the tub.  When the tub is about 1/2 full I will ease myself into it.  I use one of the towels on the back of the bathtub so it isn't so cold when I sit back.  I continue to fill the bathtub with cold water until my legs are covered.

Once the legs are covered in water, I will then add the ice to the bathtub.  I keep a second towel close by so I can wipe my hands off.  I then set the timer for 10 minutes and pick up my magazine to keep me occupied until the alarm goes off! 


Once the timer goes off, get out of the tub and let the water drain out.  I then put on the bathrobe and enjoy my mocha and magazine for an additional 30 minutes or so before getting back into the shower to fully clean up after my workout! 

*The amount of ice used is often debated.  I normally just use whatever I find in the house - this amounts to 4 ice cube trays and really isn't that much, I just push it around so that it sits around the sorest part of my legs.  CT likes to stop at the store and get bags of ice, but i am not quite to this point yet! 

The following video of the Gouchers is another option for taking an ice bath and looks way more fun than my version!  Thanks Liz for showing me this video!

No comments:

Post a Comment