Thursday, September 3, 2009

I Am Hungry

Despite my intense weekend, overall I am feeling better this week than last.  The main difference is that instead of the overwhelming fatigue I felt last week, this week it seems to be hunger.  I imagine my body is trying to make up for all of the calories I expended doing the 100 mile ride followed by the 1/2 marathon.  I can't imagine what it feels like once someone has completed a full IM!

Fortunately, with all of the training, I can eat alot more than I used to and not gain weight!  In fact, I have managed to lose weight despite my best attempt at eating everything in site.  I don't really have a plan that I am following from a dietary stand point, I am just trying to eat a variety of foods if possible.  I know that my body needs protein to help rebuild and carbs to help fuel.  So I do try to eat whole grains, fruit, veggies, nuts, etc. on a daily basis.  The protein is the hardest for me as I am not much of a meat eater.  So I have been trying to supplement by eating more beans (mostly black), greek yogurt, eggs, peanut or almond butter, and protein drinks.  I was worried about my cholesterol levels as the greek yogurt is higher in fat than other yogurts and I have been eating avocados and nuts like they are going out of style.  However, my recent physical with blood work showed that everything is perfect! 

I do eat alot of pasta because it is easy to make and can be served with a variety of things.  I also know that from a GI standpoint, my stomach can handle it pretty well.  One of the nice things that I am finding now is that they are fortifying pasta with more omega 3's, etc.  So imagine my surprise (and delight) when I found one this weekend that has 10 g of protein and 15% iron per serving!  I also found really good looking asparagus that was reasonably priced, so I decided to try this recipe last night:


http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/penne-with-asparagus-sage-and-peas

2 comments:

  1. I think it would be better without asparagus...but I did sneak a fork full of left over pasta. It was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I know your love of asparagus is very small, I am going to try one with mushroom and sage this week. We'll see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete