Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I Skipped a Workout, and I Liked It!


This past weekend we entertained CT's friend Mike (Feebs).  Mike used to live in Ohio a long time ago, but now lives in Phoenix.  This has been the first time he has been to Columbus since 1990, so CT wanted to show him a really good time.  Mike is also training for IMAZ so we tried to include a mixture of social and training fun!  Saturday started with the typical MIT run for me and an 18 mile run for CT (Feebs joined him for about 1/2 the run which is amazing since he was up late for a wedding the night before).  I followed up my run by meeting Aimee for a swim.  I was thinking a quick 30 minute swim but somehow Aimee talked me into 3200??  After this I went home and put together a crockpot full of chilli, baked homemade granola, baked cookies, and got ready for the OSU game.  While both of the boys managed a nap, I somehow didnot!  CT invited a few friends over for the OSU game, which was alot of fun, but I stayed up later than  normal!  LOL!  Sunday consisted of a great ride with CT, Feebs, and Aimee.  We left Muirfield with about 51 degree temps and a fierce headwind for the first 36 miles.  This bought us to our turn around point at Cork Screw Hill, CT and Feebs won the sprint for this!   Fortunately we had a tailwind on the way back, because my legs were shot after this little climb!  I somehow managed to run 30 minutes after this but I was a zombie the rest of the evening and managed 10 hours of sleep Sunday night!  Great to have company for the weekend, but somehow I slacked on sleep. 

I am still wiped out from this weekend.  Sleep seems like it is more important to me than all of my work outs right now.  So, when my alarm went off this morning, I opted to turn it off and sleep an extra hour and half vs. go to my swim class.  The fact that I fell back into a deep sleep pretty easily convinced me it was the right decision.  Sleep, I think is very under-rated.  I don't think in general we realize how important it is and even seem to brag when we don't get enough.  But, sleep is very important, it is the time when our bodies "rest and restore."  HGH is released to help the body heal, grow, repair itself.   It allows both our minds and bodies to take a break so we can continue on with our daily lives.   I was just talking to someone last week about the fact that I think lack of sleep can contribute to injuries and I fully believe this.  So, I think when your body is exhausted and you know this, it is important to listen.  Sometimes, I do think it is okay to skip a workout or readjust the schedules a bit to allow for some additional sleep.   At least, this is what I am telling myself today, so I don't feel so guilty about missing my swim! 

Stats for last weeks work outs:
Monday: hour bike on the trainer, 30 minute strength/stretch
Tuesday: 3000 swim, hour run
Wed:  30 mile bike, 20 minute run,
Thursday:  3000 swim, hour run, 30 minute strength/stretch
Friday:  rest - enjoyed a birthday date with my boyfriend at Figlio - yum! 
Saturday:  12 mile run, 3200 swim
Sunday:  75 mile bike (windy, also included Corkscrew Hill), 30 minute run

No comments:

Post a Comment