Thursday, October 1, 2009

My Birthday, a Year in Review

So this is my birthday week.  I am actually 36 now and I am having a hard time with it. For some reason 35 wasn't a big deal for me, but 36 is. Maybe because I am over 1/2 way to 40? Maybe it is because I am still unmarried and my biological clock is starting to tick? Maybe because it makes my parents one year older and I don't want to see them age anymore? I really don't know the reason for this, but I know that I don't like being 36, 35 was much better. So in honor of my 35th year, I am going to do a year in review of  things that have happened over the past year. Give yourself some time, because this is going to be a long entry!


A look back at year 35 of Ann Kurtenbach:

October 2008:
1. My friend Eileen is diagnosed with Lymphoma.
2. I complete the Columbus 1/2 marathon.  Meanwhile, CT get's his first BQ time with his Columbus Full finish!
3. I move in with CT, time to co-habitate with a boyfriend for the first time!

November 2008:
4.  I vote for Obama, who later is elected as the first African American President of the USA.



5.  My mom and I fly to LA to be there when my sister completes her first 1/2 marathon.  Unfortunately the race is canceled due to the wild fires surrounding LA, the air quality is terrible.  We have a great weekend of site-seeing instead!  Fortunately my sister (Lora) is able to participate and complete in a 1/2 marathon 2 weeks later.


6. CT and I fly to Phoenix to spend time with his family. We watch our friend Julie complete her first Ironman at IM Arizona 2008.
7.  I sign up for Ironman Arizona 2009, the next day.
8.  With Liz's help, I stuff and roast my first Thanksgiving Turkey. 


December 2008:
9.  Two baby showers to attend (my friends Liz and Jenny - both on different weekends, but both due in January).
10.  First Christmas without CT's mother.   Very hard for everyone, it is my first experience in trying to celebrate a holiday without a loved one, who is normally a vital part of that holiday.  It was a very sad Christmas last year, hopefully we will be able to better honor Sylvia this year and have a Christmas that would truely embody her spirit of the holiday - Sylvia absolutely loved Christmas! 

January 2009:
11.  I PR my first race of the year "First on the 1st 5k."
12.  Heath Ledger dies, age 28.
13.  Liz and Jenny both have their babies! 

February 2009:
14. My good friend, Sally, turns 30 - welcome to the club! 
15. CT turns 36, 6 months until my turn. . .

March 2009:
16. My sister, Lora's birthday - she is now 33.  Seriously??  When did my "little" sister suddenly grow up and turn into a mature woman? 

April 2009:
17.  Another baby shower - this time for my friend Abby!
18.  I compete  in the first BAA 5k race in Boston, not a PR but only 20 seconds slower than the last 5k.  Not bad, especially since I ran about 4 miles extra prior to the race and then an additional 2 or 3 after!
19.  CT and Aimee participate in their first Boston Marathon.  CT PR's, ensuring his spot for a return next year.


20.  Kara Goucher and Ryan Hall both finish 3rd - the US has a glimmer of hope for the future of long distance running! 

May 2009:
21.  I complete the Flying Pig 1/2 Marathon.  I thought this was a PR for me, but later found out that it actually is not.  Apparently the very first 1/2 Marathon I completed was a PR for me, through the years I had forgotten this fact!  CT's friend "Nemo" finally gets his 1st BQ at the Flying Pig full - great for the guys as CT will now get to run the Boston Marathon 2010 with all of his training buddies!  CT's brother, Scott, also finishes his first marathon! 
22.  Another 5k - this one is a fundraiser that a friend organized - The Spring 5k Run.  My friend Kelly found out she is pregnant shortly after this run.
23.  CT and I travel to Italy to follow the Giro d'Italia for a few weeks.


24.  We get to witness Lance Armstrong, live, as he is making his comeback to the bicycle racing scene.



June 2009:
25.  First ever family reunion with my fater's side of the family, in the Black Hills of South Dakota.
26.  Race for Ellie - my 5th, 5k of the year.
27.  I completed the Olympic Distance Tri at Alum Creek, shaved 10 minutes off my time from last year!
28.  Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett die in the same week. 

July 2009:
29.  For work, my collegue, Colleen, and I present an inservice at Riverside's Grand Rounds to 30+ ob/gyn residents and physicians on how physical therapy can help their patient population, this is huge as many times these inservices aren't well attended by the physicians.  Bonus, I think only 2 people nodded off during the presentation!
30.  My friend, Jen, finally gets married to Mike!  Yeah!! 


31. CT completes his 4th IM at Lake Placid, in the same weekend I venture up to Lima to do a Sprint Tri with his sister-n-law, Liz, his brother, Scott, and a few other friends. We all take home AG awards!



August 2009:
32.  I complete the Steelhead 1/2 IM, my first,  in Benton Harbor, MI.
33.  Usain Bolt sets a new world record for the 100m - 9.58 seconds!


34.  My 5th baby shower of the year - this time it is for CT's sister-n-law, Michelle.  It will be Scott and Michelle's first!
35.  Eileen has a clear scan for cancer, I then take her with me to the Pelotonia celebration to recognize this huge accomplishment.   The next day I complete the 100 mile distance ride for Pelotonia and Eileen is the first person I see when I get there! 


37.  Spirit of Columbus 1/2 marathon is completed the day after Pelotonia.
38.  Double IM weekend, IM Canada - Jana completes this, and IM Louisville - MIT and biking friend, John completes this one! 

September 2009:
38.  Another work success; Colleen and I present 2 free CEU's for the therapy staff at Ohiohealth.  This is a 2 hour long presentation and I talk for about 45 minutes.  This is huge for me as I hate public speaking!  No one falls asleep during this presentation (that I see anyway)! 
39.  IM Wisconsin - 5 friends complete this; Natalie, Jeremy, Laura, Mario, and Tim - way to go!   I am now wishing mine was sooner.
40.  Patrick Swayze passes away.
41.  Nicole's baby shower - my 6th of the year!
42.  My Birthday - I am now officially 36 years old. 








1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing person and a wonderful friend. Happy Birthday to you! Have a great year! Eileen

    ReplyDelete