Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Nutrition for Triathletes



The above picture shows the majority of my tried and true nutrition choices for my rides and runs. 

Besides all of the working out, another part of becoming a long distance triathlete is experimenting with hydration and nutrition.  Being a runner first, I pretty much have this down almost to a science.  I have a handheld bottle that holds 12 oz. and I carry this with me on any run over 30 minutes in length.  I have found through the years that I do much better continuously sipping vs. stopping and gulping water/gatorade.  Most runners will also find that over a certain distance they will also start to need more calories and so will switch from plain old water to gatorade or some sports drink, eventually having to add in gu, sports beans, etc. to get additional calories.  Each athlete is different - in size, shape, muscle balance, metabolism, and even GI compatibility.  So it truely is a science trying to figure out what works for you.  For instance, while I don't especially like the consistency of gu, it seems to work the best for me on any longer distance run.  I have found that while I like the taste of the sports beans/blocks better, I cannot chew and run at the same time (Obviously I can't do 2 things at once)! 

Being on the bike for long distances is an entirely different ball game.  For one, you are out there alot longer.  For me it is one thing to eat a few gels for a couple hours of running, but I cannot do this the full time on the bike -  I have found I like the blocks better as they are less messy!  I think part of it is boredom with the same foods, but I also find I get hungrier and need actual food vs. gels, blocks, etc.  It is interesting seeing what people will eat on a long bike ride.  Here are just a few things I have witnessed or partaked in myself:  fig newtons, power bars, granola bars, donuts, pretzels, potato chips, m&ms (peanut and plain),  a sub sandwich, a hot dog, Pb&J sandwhich, lentil soup, homemade cookies, orange slices, bananas, and finally pop tarts!  It is also not uncommon to see coke and mountain dew consumed later in a ride.  I think part of the reason for all of these different types of food is that many times we stop at gas stations for breaks.  Unfortunately the food choices at these places are slim, the other part of the food is what is offered on the bike tours.  By mile 80 you are generally hungry enough that you will eat almost anything!  So, I haven't quite figured out what I am going to do for the IM so far, but I am pretty sure I will have a peaunt butter sandwhich in my special needs bag.  Incidentally, one of my favorite stories is from CT who witnessed someone taking a McDonald's Hamburger out of the back pocket of his jersey and eating it midway through the ride for the Lake Placid IM this past summer.   Now that is something I won't be doing! 

Another thing you have to start to consider is post workout nutrition.  There is alot of info/advice out there.  But generally, it is recognized that for any distance over 90 minutes, it is important to get about 200 calories  (4:1 ratio carbs to protein) within the first 30 minutes to help with recovery.  I find that I cannot normally stomach solid food right after a work out so I tend to rely on liquid sources for my recovery.  Below are two different ones that I can tolerate for recovery:



Of course, once I can tolerate food, I normally prefer something like this:



Ultimately, in the words of Tim Gunn, you will "make it work!" 


Stats for last week:
Monday:  Hour ride
Tuesday: 70 minute run, 30 minute strength
Wed:  hour and a half on trainer
Thursday: 3500 swim, 70 minute run, 30 min strength/stretch
Friday:  rest
Saturday:  14.5 mile run
Sunday: 100 mile bike, 30 minute run

No comments:

Post a Comment