Sunday, January 10, 2010

Let It Snow



It has snowed 12 straight days here and the temps have been in the 20 degree (F) or less range, 3 times in the last week dipping into single digits at night.   This can make it a challenging time for running outdoors.   Not only because of the cold factor, but because the running trails tend to be an icy and slippery mess!   I will take my workouts indoors, but I can only do this a little at a time.   Running around a track or on a treamdmill (or dreadmill as some call it)  is very boring to me.   I feel like a hamster caught on one of those wheels, going nowhere, but slowly in my case!



So, in an effort to run outdoors I have been forced to figure out more efficient ways to be able to run in the cold and snow!  I am told that Yaktrax worn over running shoes, can help in icy and snowy conditions.  I haven't tried them yet, but will do a summary if I ever do.    Through experimentation over the past few winter sessions of MIT, I have found that if dressed appropriately, a cold weather run really isn't all that bad!    This article by Dr. Pribut, does a great job at suggestions for dressing for cold weather running.   Having the appropriate gear, plus the added motivation of meeting people for a run, have enabled me to run twice this week outdoors!




My Stats for the Week:  (1/4/10 to 1/9/10):
Monday: rest
Tuesday:  2300 swim, 50 minute run
Wed:  rest
Thursday:  50 minute (outdoor run)
Friday:  45 minutes on the bike trainer
Saturday:  11.4 mile run (outdoors and with hills)

1 comment:

  1. I still hate running under 20°...I think mostly just all of the BULK from the 20 layers I wear :) I agree though, one can only run on a treadmill or around a tiny track for so long...

    ReplyDelete