Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Visit to the Farmer's Market

Despite 8 degree temps and snow/ice covered ground, MIT still met as usual this morning.   I grumbled for about the first mile, but it turned out to be a nice run.   We ran the (hilly) MIT winter route  through the neighborhoods instead of along the trail, as the roads were more clear of the ice.   With this type of weather you have to change your stride and take shorter steps to be more careful on the ice, the pace is typically slowed down as well.   So with that in mind I decided not to worry too much about the pace, I went as fast as the majority of the 10:30 pace group could handle. 




After 8 miles I called it a day and decided to head to the Olde Worthington Farmers Market.  This was just my first run through and I was short on cash, but I still managed to walk away with veggie burgers, veggie breakfast patties, eggs, mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, 2 types of homemade bread, (made with local ingredients) and an array of winter veggies!  



My goal next time is to bring a bit more cash (and/or checkbook) and stock up on some grass fed beef, lamb, chicken, and locally made cheeses!   At some point I would like to have bought at least one thing from each of the vendors to help support their efforts and income! 

After getting home I enjoyed a meal of a fried egg sandwhich with a breakfast patty!  Nice to know that 3/4 of my meal came from local vendors and it was delicious! 

For the rest of the day I am working on baking some desserts for a supper party I am attending tonight.   On the agenda is:
1)  Brownies







My Stats for today:
8 mile run, no timing

No comments:

Post a Comment