Thursday, February 11, 2010

Fitness Test



Winter is officially in full swing.   Along with that comes all the winter resolutions to get "fit" before swimsuit season, or in my case - tri season!  

My workplace this year  introduced several different programs to get fit and many offer additional incentives, such as gift certificates and free stuff if certain goals are met.  I, of course, being the fit person that I am, signed up to either participate or mentor in a few of them.   The first is what is known as the Momentum program.   This is a free service they are offering to employees that are interested in starting or progressing a run/walk program.   I was asked to be a mentor given all the races I have done as an endurance athelete.  No problem, right? 

 The second program I decided to participate in is a "Fitness Challenge."   This goes from the first week in February to the first week in April.   The winners can get up to $100 of gift certificates and it includes categories such as; most weight lost, most fat % lost, best increase in strength, and most steps taken.   Since I am currently training for a marathon I figured I may have a chance in the "most steps taken" category.   As part of challenge you have to complete a pre-test to figure out where you are at the start of the contest.   This included weight, height, % body fat, # of pushups done in 1 minute, # of crunches done in one minute, and a flexibility test.   So for the past week I put myself through a battery of tests, including blood work done for free though Ohiohealth to find out what my current level of fitness actually is!  

The % body fat has to be measured by calipers or the bod pod.  Since I don't know anyone who actually owns calipers, I decided to go to the Dublin Rec Center and use the bod pod there.   To my surprise, they can also check VO2 max and metabolic rate.   So I opted to do the whole Fitness Test package and get all 3 done this morning.    So, the following is a few pictures and description of the experience I had this morning:

The Bod Pod


Supposedly this device takes your weight and uses air to figure out how much of the density is fat vs. other tissue.   This was definately the easiest test I have ever taken!   I just had to sit in this machine as quietly as I could for three different 45 second body scans.   You do have to wear a swim cap and remove all jewelry, watches, clothing, etc. except for a swim suit.   I opted for a sports bra and tri shorts as I was following this with the VO2 max test and didn't like the idea of running in a swimsuit! 

Metabolic Rate


The next test was also pretty easy in terms of activity level.   Again, I just had to sit there.   But this time it is with a mask over your face and it is 12 minutes long.   It tests for the amount of carbon dioxide that is exhaled "at rest."  They want you to sit as still as possible for this as well.   The mask is akward and uncomfortable and sitting still for 12 minutes looking at the bod pod was pretty boring.  I decided that I am not very good at sitting still.   They tester guy, Matt, finally got me a magazine to look at after a few minutes!  

VO2 max

 

For the VO2 max testing you have to wear the same mask and now run on a treadmill in it.   Again, the mask is very akward and it is also heavy and hard to see around.   The test starts at 2.0mph and increases by one mph every minute until you get to 5.0mph.   At this point the incline is increased by 2% every minute until you reach your lactate threshold, max heart rate, or you tell them to stop.   Funny thing is I never actually got to my max heart rate or lactate threshold.   After 10 minutes and at a 10% grade I finally asked them to stop because I felt like the mask was suffocating me.   So the computer had to guess at my lactate threshold. 

So, what did I learn?
1) I need to do more strength training.  My arms hurt for 3 days after doing the pushup test. 
2) My RMR is much higher than I thought. 
3)  My VO2 max is (probably) higher than I thought.  
4)  In order to get faster on the run or bike I am going to have to stop being such a whimp and get used to be "uncomfortable" for a set duration. 

My Fitness Levels:
Push Up Test:  15
Abdominal Test:  15
Weight:  134.6
Height:  5'8"
BMI:  20.4
Waist Measurement:  28 inches
RMR:  1973 (this is "fast" compared to a typical person my age, weight, etc.)
Fat%:  30.1 ("moderately lean" description says fat level is acceptable for good health)
VO2 max: Peak 38.4, AT 37.3 (35.7-40 = excellent)   according to this my AT (anaerobic thereshold) exercise zone is 174-175 bpm, moderate zone is 169-174 bpm, and low zone is 103-169 bpm!

How do you like them apples?   




1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun!! What are going to do with all these stats? Watch out, Lance.

    ReplyDelete