Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Experimenting in the Kitchen

The past week has been another quiet one, mostly just trying to keep up at work, stay on track with exercising and trying out a few new recipes.  Fortunately, I found a couple of "keepers,"  that were easy to make and delicious!  

The first was inspired by some old sweet potatoes that needed to be used.   So, I consulted my cookbooks to find a recipe that I had the ingredients and could use.    To my surprise, I found a great recipe for:

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos:  (from Simply in Season)
3 cups sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
1/2 onion (chopped)
Saute in medium to high heat in 1 TBS oil until just tender.   Add water or apple juice as needed to prevent sticking.
2 cups cooked black beans
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
Add and cooked until heated through.
8 flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
Divide bean mixture and cheese among the tortillas and roll up.  Place in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.  Lightly spray with olive oil if desired.   Cover pan with foil and bake at 350F  for 20-25 minutes.  Garnish with salsa, sour cream, and fresh cilantro if desired.

I also found this recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies




My stats for the week:
Wed:  50 minute run
Thursday:  2800 swim, 30 min run
Friday: rest
Saturday:  13 mile run (bitter cold, did 2 loops in Worthington Hills)
Sunday:  45 minutes on the trainer
Monday:  60 minute run
Tuesday:  2450 swim

No comments:

Post a Comment