Sunday, February 7, 2010

Wintertime Fun

Well, central Ohio got hit with a big snowstorm over the past few days.   The Columbus area recieved anywhere from 8 to 12 inches in 24 hours.   Makes it difficult to get outdoors for a run.    I opted to skip yesterday's workout and wait for an extra day for the roads and trails to be cleared.    I am glad that I did.   Although it was very cold, the trials at one of the local parks was fairly clear and I had a nice group to run with this morning!  The only draw back was that it was 12 degrees (F) when we got started this morning.   

So, how does one dress for colder temps??  Very carefully and with lots of layers.   Typically with at least a few layers of technical gear.   Technical shirts which wick away sweat and moisture are normally suggested for a base layer.   Follow this with fleece or a warmer layer and then some sort of windbreaker or jacket.   Pants can be one or two layers, again insulated or warmer layers suggested.   I also added 2 pair of wool socks today to keep the feet warm and dry.   For really cold days, a face mask/hat is also advised and mittens or warm weather gloves.  

The only drawback with winter gear is that it can be hard to recognize your friends and it can be hard to move in very efficiently.   So most programs will tell you not to worry about going at a quick pace.  As a result, today I didn't track the workout or monitor pace at all.   So I was surprised when 1/4 the way into the run (when I was out in front) I got yelled at to "slow" the pace.   I was going a 9:45 pace (45 seconds faster than normal)!!  WTH??

Thanks to my friends in MIT for a turning what could have been a brutal run today into a very nice one!




Stats since last entry:
Friday: rest
Saturday:  45 minutes on the trainer
Sunday:  10 mile run

No comments:

Post a Comment