Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I am tired

I think all the training I have been doing has finally caught up with me. Over the weekend I didn't feel great.

Saturday, I was supposed to help the MIT group with a 16 mile run, but I knew 6 miles into it that I had no interest in doing that. I struggled with cramps - mostly abdominal, but some leg - within 3 miles of starting. Fortunately, there was a group that only wanted to go 12 or 13, so I quickly offered to guide them back at the correct turn around point. I started to feel a little better around mile 8, so was able to pick up the pace for a few miles, the group was really looking strong! Unfortunately, it was a little to much for me and by mile 10 I was dreading that we had done that, by mile 11 I let the rest of the group go ahead, and by mile 12.5 I was done. The cramping went away for a bit but the legs felt very heavy and I struggled with SOB that I haven't felt for awhile - despite using both of my inhalers religiously for the past few months! I really didn't feel quite right the rest of the day and was in bed by 9pm that night.

Sunday started out well enough, I went on an early morning ride with my swim instructor, Christopher Conn. We met at a half-way point between Dublin and UA (where he lives). The meeting time was 7am, so I left the house by 6:30am. This was the first time I have had to use a headlamp on my bike because it was still dark. I have to say that I really enjoyed watching the sun rise on the bike. The morning temps were a little cool, but felt good compared to the last few weeks. We enjoyed a very leisurely 33 mile ride out to West Jefferson and back. By the time I got back home I was able to get in 53 miles and felt pretty good. After quickly showering, CT and I headed up to Lima for his brother and sister-n-laws baby shower. I wasn't much company in the car, as I napped both on the trip up there and back. The shower and company was very nice and we headed back to Dublin at a decent time. Unfortunately, the cramping I experienced the day before when running returned on the trip home, along with nausea. So, Sunday night was another early night and I was able to put in a good 10 hours of sleep Sunday night.

Yesterday, I did a quick hour ride on the bike that felt pretty good, but again I was in bed early. This morning the alarm went off for my masters swim class. I wasn't happy with it, and eventually turned off the snooze and went back to sleep. I felt very guilty about skipping class, but the thought of 2 more hours of sleep quickly over-ruled any guilt that I had! I did get a hour run in and some core strength after this, but I already feel like I could take another nap.

CT told me that with all the training I should expect to be more tired - he is all the time when he is in the thick of his training. However, I guess I didn't expect to feel it so soon, as it feels like I just started ramping up my training. Of course there could be other factors involved, too. Maybe I am fighting a virus, maybe I am not eating enough or drinking enough. Maybe, it is the female hormone fluctuations that remind me that I am not pregnant that kicked in this weekend. I am hopeful it is that later, as I have a tough weekend of training coming up. All in all, I guess the best I can do is to listen to my body and try to adjust accordingly.

At least I am not acting like this guy (yet)!

1 comment:

  1. Stay strong! You're kickin booty and I'm proud of you!!

    xoxoxo
    Sister o' Yours

    ReplyDelete