Saturday, August 22, 2009

Lance Armstrong


Lance, signing autographs prior to a stage in the Giro d'Italia
Getting directions to the start of the race stage for the day.

Hanging with the leaders of the Giro, during Blockhaus - a grueling climb!


Lance's special bike for the Giro.


I will admit it, Lance Armstrong facinates me. He fascinates me on many different levels.
1) As an athlete, he ranks up there as one of the all time greatest. Right now I am in awe of so many - Micheal Phelps for 8 gold medals, Bolt for 19.19 sec 200 world record, 9.58 100 sec WR, Lance Armstrong - 7 Tour de France titles. In time I am sure I will find new athletes to admire, as I am sure these records will change. But right now, I find it awesome and amazing that they are gifted with such talent - something I am not!
2) Not only is he a world class athelete, but he did it after he beat stage III testicular, brain, and lymph cancer.
3) No person right now is so known worldwide. He has been known for awhile in the cyling realm, but this year he has also put CANCER on the map with his Livestrong Foundation. By creating this:
This wristband has become a worldwide phenom. You see everyone wearing these, not just Americans, but also Italians, Spainards, Jamacians, etc. You see athletes, nonatheletes, children, parents, pretty much every different type of person out there wearing these bracelets. Nothing else in the world has come close to unifying people. The Livestrong Foundation had reached supporters and rasied awareness on a worldwide level. The battle against cancer has a long way to go, but Lance Armstrong is doing an awful lot to combat it now.


I have been very fortunate this year in that I got to see him race in Italy. I will also get a second opportunity to see him again this year. He is to be one of the speakers for the Pelotonia Ride taking place in Columbus this weekend (8/30/09 and 8/31/09). This is another fundraiser to raise money towards the battle with cancer that Lance Armstrong will be riding in and speaking at the opening ceremony. I have raised over $1,500 from friends and family toward this cause and will ride 100 miles from Columbus to Athens. To read more see this website: http://www.pelotonia.org/ride/riders_profile.jsp?MemberID=4370&RiderName=Ann%20Kurtenbach


My guess is that I won't see him on the bike - I think his pace is a little faster than mine! But, I am excited to hear him as a speaker and am interested to hear what he has to say.




Stats for the week:
Monday: 6 mile run (1:01)
Tuesday: 3000 swim, hour on the bike
Wed: rain forced me inside - hour on the trainer
Thursday: 3000 swim, hour run with last 10 minutes in zone 4 HR
Friday: rest
Saturday: 12.5 mile run, no timing



No comments:

Post a Comment