Monday, August 31, 2009

The Spirit of Columbus 1/2 Marathon

After my very eventful day and successful 100 mile bike ride for Pelotonia, I decided to go ahead and run a 1/2 marathon the next day.  I had originally signed up for the 1/2 prior to Pelotonia and at first I thought about blowing off the 1/2 because I thought that the Pelotonia ride was a much worthwhile cause.  After reviewing my IM training plan, I realized I was going to have to run long anyway, so I decided to try and do both.  I didn't think I would have any desire to go out and run an hour and half by myself.  So, the challenge of running a little further with friends sounded much more appealing.  And boy, I am glad that I did!  Here is how the day went:

6:45am - showed up at Tuttle Mall for the race start.  Found all of my MIT friends.  Quick conference with my fellow coach Kristen and we decided to go slow, as she had helped the MIT group on Saturday and put in 16 miles with them!  For us, slow is a 10-10:30 pace, no need to push too hard and risk injury!  Our fellow MIT member, Chris decided to join us as he had already run 5 miles earlier in the morning and at the end of the day, this would be his first 18 miler!  Kristen and I then decided to go through the long bathroom line twice, but still made it to the race start in time because it got delayed . . .

7:45am - We finally start the race with a bang and suddenly we are already running at a 9:20 pace!  Decide at that point that Chris is in charge, since he has a garmin and checks it regularly, need to slow down a bit so we can finish the race!

7:59am - We pass the first water stop, it is self serve.   There are two coolers sitting out on a table with some cups next to them, no people to help out at all, decided to pass on that one as Chris and I had brought our own fluids, at this point Kristen was already pulling ahead!

8:15am - Second water stop, Kristen has pulled off to the side and decided to wait for us.  I am hungry, so opt to do a gu a little earlier than usual.

8:17am - We spy our fellow MIT member, Becki, and have our photo taken.  Kristen weaves to the side to make sure she is front and center!

8:18am - We see our friend Matt, who also takes our picture, but I don't have copies from him yet.
8:38am - We come to the next water stop - they are out of water and Heed (the Gatorade substitute)! 
8:45am - Mile six, they are also out of fluids but do have banana flavored hammer gel available.  Yuck, good thing I have my own supply.  Kristen takes one, but I don't think she actually eats it. 
8:50am - We see Jen, aka, "Chuck" who yells loud enough for the whole park to hear her, fortunately she has a cooler with her and tosses Kristen a small bottle of water.
9:05am - We are around mile 8 going uphill and spot another water stop that appears to have fluids, I decide to do my second gu and grab some water.  Unfortunately all they have is the Heed and no water.  I take a sip and immediately spit it out - the stuff is terrible and really isn't what I want to wash down the gu.  Kristen then shares her water with me.  Thanks, Kristen!  Trying to speed back up the hill is murder on my legs, good thing it is the last one!
9:20am - I am starting to struggle a bit, my gluts and hammies are on fire!  Kristen and I realize that we are at a 9:30 pace and debate if we should yell at Chris for keeping the pace too fast or simply latch onto the back of his fuel belt and let him drag us along for a bit.  We do the prior and slow down to a 10:00 pace for about 30 seconds.
9:30am - At this point we have pulled in front of the 10:00 pace group and are leaving them in the dust. 
9:40am - I am pretty sure I am bonking or dehydrated.  I am getting chills despite the fact that we have full sun and I am drenched in sweat, the thought of running anymore doesn't seem possible, my legs feel like they have cement on the end of them and my breathing is starting to become labored.  Thankfully, I have 2 very good friends running on either side of me and they talk me to the finish!
9:55am - 2 hours and 10 minutes later we have crossed the finish line!  Avg pace 9:50 - so much for our slow race!  LOL!  Unfortunately they are out of water and we have to wait in line for our medals, t-shirts, and hats.  The only thing to drink is vitamin water and myoplex.  Kristen and I are both dehydrated and want nothing but water.  Fortunately our faster MIT friends had stashed a few bottles so we were able to split a bottle between us.

So, what did I learn from this experience?
1) I can do 100 miles on the bike one day and follow with a 1/2 marathon the next day.
2) It is always a good idea to have your own drink/beverage at a race because you never know what can happen on the course.
3) This is a race I will always remember as a good one, because I had 2 wonderful people to run with me to the finish!   I don't think every race is always about how fast you can do it or getting a PR.  Sometimes, I think a great race can be due to the people that are with you despite some of the obstacles that are thrown your way.   

My stats for the week:
Monday: hour ride
Tuesday: hour run with speed work for the middle 20 minutes, followed by 30 minutes of core work and stretching
Wed: 30 miles on the bike, no timing
Thursday: 2800 swim, hour run
Friday: rest
Saturday: 102 mile bike (6:48)
Sunday: Half Marathon (2:10)

4 comments:

  1. great job, Annie! My sis and her husband ran it too and mentioned the sorry lack of water. BTW, you're looking very toned. IM AZ, watch out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The course itself was very pretty and I liked it alot. The lack of fluids at the stations was a problem! Hope they learn for the next race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann - I loved the race report! How on earth are you able to remember what happened at each point of the race? After the LifeLine of Ohio, I was doing well to remember my name :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think the times are completely accurate, but more of a generalization. All of the events happened in that order thought! LOL!

    ReplyDelete